Sunday, August 19, 2012

Words of Inspiration from Elder Brandon Bowers

Brandon's Spiritual Thoughts and Scriptures!
Brandon includes at least one scripture/spiritual thought in each of his letters. Just thought it'd be nice to document them :)



In his first letter, he thought this quote from Preach My Gospel was pretty neat. He said,

'Preach my gospel says I have been "set apart from the world to a higher plane of thought." Kinda cool and basically says im better than all of you.'".
So Brandon's spiritually in tune but funny at the same time. He's so cute!
The actual quote from President Spencer W. Kimball says, "The setting apart may be taken literally; it is a setting apart from sin, apart from the carnal; apart from everything which is crude, low, vicious, cheap, or vulgar; set apart from the world to a higher plane of thought and activity.

Letter # 2
Alma 17:3
3 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and afasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with bpowerand authority of God.

Letter # 3
Helaman 5:12
12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon thearock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

“and love is always the answer. I remeber bishop hackney teaching a lesson on that a long time ago. I kept it in my mind ever since and it really is a big thing here. and is way helpful.”

Letter #4 8/21/12 
"So it was last night that i was reflecting on basically all the personal questions and problems i have had these past couple weeks. Then i decided to start writing how i felt. Then before i knew it on the paper in front of me was every answer to every question i had asked. very specific to my needs and feelings. its amazing the things that happen here in the MTC.

I have learned alot and hope it has prepared me for a succesfull mission. Its also amazing how much the spirit will connect to you through thoughts and words and especially when you write those things down."


12/2/12
"You people who committed to read the book of mormon.  Do It. (a group in our family committed to reading the whole book by the end of the year)  That book has the answer to everything.  Just like with what I said above.  There is more to it than just the words on the page.  Before reading it, pray for inspiration,  and if you study that book with your spiritual eyes you will find words of life.  Meanings and new interpretations of things you never have seen before.  I can testify to this.  I guess I can relay that experience I had in the MTC.  While I was struggling I decided to open that book of mormon.  I opened that book and I prayed to God asking for help and guidance.  I then read 1 Nephi chapter 1.  Within that next hour I received 5 very specific answers to 5 very specific questions.  And all I read was 1 Nephi chapter 1.(yes I read the first chapter for an hour)  We must liken the scriptures to ourselves.  And through that book we can get the answers and comfort we are looking for.  I know this for myself and I know it to be true for all who try.  And with that all I need to say is read it."

12/10/12


"but it was cool walking because one day we were walking and everybody kept giving us dirty looks,  people were yelling terrible things at us, and someone said something that i will never ever repeat.  (that was the first time i felt legit pain from someones words.  it was bad.)  then the next day we were walking and we were on the same busy street.  But this time i had a Book of Mormon in my hands.  I took the challenge elder Don R. Clark gave us.  He told us that there was power in that book.  And just having it in your hands will make the difference.  
Also I had a prayer in my heart.  I thought about how we were there to do the lords work and that he was there to back us up.  Also I had just read about captain moroni in my studies that morning so i was feeling a bit bold. So ya filled with the spirit and confidence in the lord.  So with all that everything changed.  People were honking and giving us peace signs and somebody pulled over and asked us if we needed help and anyway it was cool.  I wish i could explain it better but once again im running out of time."
read alma Ch 26:35-37:

  35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all apower, ball wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a cmercifulBeing, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

 36 Now if this is aboasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a bbranch of the tree of Israel, and has been clost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, dwanderers in a strange land.
 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is amindful of everybpeople, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.

3 comments: